DIY Father’s Day Gift from the Kids

Updated: June 2, 2016 Mpix Support Fun Stuff, Guest Post, Photo Books

6.2.16-ashleyann-guest-post-blog

Wildly passionate about her family, Ashley Ann Campbell captures the beautiful details of her life through a collection of powerful photos and words called Under the Sycamore. Follow Ashley’s latest adventures on Instagram and Facebook.

Father’s Day gifts always seem to be a little tricky for me. More than just another random gadget or item, I want to help my kids give their dad something significant related to his role as their father. My kids always want to include a card for their dad and I typically add their ages to the back of those cards. This year I am excited to change it up!

To celebrate his role as a father of 5, we created a small custom book using an Accordion Mini album. The book includes a recent photo next to a personal note from each of my kids. There is something extra sweet about seeing their faces side by side with the words they wrote to their dad.

FathersDay-03
The Accordion Mini albums are a perfect fit for this gift. The small size makes it easy to tuck away and the thick paper allows for little hands to write without tearing the pages. We used a sharpie to pen the notes. Of course, my daughters added little drawings too. In an age where most photos are stored on phones, having printed photos accompanied by notes in their young handwriting is a gift I hope their dad treasures.

FathersDay-01

FathersDay-06

FathersDay-04

FathersDay-05

FathersDay-07

FathersDay-08
Follow Ashley on Facebook and InstagramFor more photography tips from Ashley, check out Personalized Thank You CardsDIY Holiday Card Display,  How to Shoot a Family Holiday Card5 Tips for Capturing WHO Your Kids AreImproving Phone Photography and Phone Photography Tips for Kids

22 Responses to “DIY Father’s Day Gift from the Kids”

1. June 2, 2016 at 9:13 am #

Oh, I never thought of using mini accordian wallets for this… love!

2. June 2, 2016 at 9:59 am #

You’re a genius Ashley!

3. June 2, 2016 at 11:14 am #

Ashley –
    I think this is a wonderful idea. I’d like to do it with my 2 boys; which album did you use? I’m looking on the site and don’t see one with blank pages. Did you custom design it that way?
    Emily

4. June 2, 2016 at 11:49 am #

I love this idea! Which mini accordion album did you use? To get the writing space, did you just not add a photo to every other space? Really love this idea!

5. June 2, 2016 at 8:51 pm #

Very cute! Is there a certain paper finish that is best for this project?

• June 3, 2016 at 8:34 am #

Hi Jen, both Signature or Pearl will work great!

6. charlse brown June 2, 2016 at 10:41 pm #

Hey , I am agree with you 100% that you told in today’s era printed photo is just dream too see .If children give this kind of gift to their dad then i am sure that father’s will love it ans it will become the real treasure for the dad.

7. Baby Gifts June 3, 2016 at 1:33 am #

Perfect blog for Father’s Day occasion. Father’s play very important role in everyone’s life. Kids are very close to their father. Your blog has given kids wonderful idea about gift items for fathers day. Thanks!

8. June 6, 2016 at 2:52 am #

Hi,

Thanks for that great present idea!

I wonder if you ship to Norway or Sweden?

BR Nadja

• June 6, 2016 at 8:30 am #

Hi Nadja, right now we only ship to the United States and Canada. Hopefully someday soon though!

9. June 7, 2016 at 10:23 am #

I LOVE this idea. Purchasing it now!

10. June 7, 2016 at 11:43 am #

Ok, I might be a cheapskate. I was going to order the $19.99 mini album and then went to check out and shipping is $8? I HATE that. Delaying my order . . . . . .

• June 7, 2016 at 12:02 pm #

Hi Sharla, we do have a 20% off discount running through Wednesday that should help with the shipping costs!

• June 10, 2016 at 10:03 am #

Shoot, I missed your reply! Thanks for trying. . . .

11. June 10, 2016 at 10:50 am #

So cute – any chance the shopping code can be extended?

• June 10, 2016 at 10:51 am #

Shipping code

• June 10, 2016 at 11:19 am #

Sorry Lori, we don’t have any promotions running at the moment. Check back with us soon!

12. Father's Day Gifts June 13, 2016 at 2:49 am #

Amazing! This is a unique gift idea for the father’s day. I really like the way of adding this personal touch to the gift. So unique & creative!

13. Ashley Graham July 23, 2016 at 8:09 am #

Aww what a lovely idea for fathers day! You are right in saying it is difficult to buy for them these days I mean what do you get for the man that has everything? But there will always be space for something personalised and I imagine it is cherished more than just a new phone.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. father’s day {mpix & a few gift ideas} » ashleyannphotography.com - June 2, 2016

[…] I am guest posting over on the Mpix blog. I told Chris he better not click over. Chris…don’t click over! I’m sharing a […]

2. SnapShop + $100 Mpix Giveaway {Father’s Day} » ashleyannphotography.com - June 2, 2017

[…] to Father’s Day, if you are looking for a gift idea for Father’s Day, I shared a DIY gift last year on the Mpix […]